Housing Resources Available in Kitsap County
Housing Search Tips
Finding affordable and permanent housing can be overwhelming. Here are a few tips to help you with your search:
- Contact each property you are interested in to learn about eligibility requirements and how to apply.
- Don’t let a waiting list keep you from applying. Waiting lists move and change constantly. You will never be contacted to move into a unit if you don’t apply. When a unit becomes available, you can move from the bottom of the list to the top very quickly. If you get called for a unit but can’t move you can usually stay on the list but just move back down to the bottom.
- Many properties listed have rental assistance available. Be sure to ask about possible rental assistance or subsidy.
- Be open and honest about your background on applications.
- Check online sources (such as Craigslist) daily. New rentals are always being posted. Network with everyone you know—coworkers, friends, your chiropractor! The best way to find housing is by someone you know moving out of a place and referring you.
- Contact property management companies. They list many types of property for rent and occasionally they can have a unit that might be affordable to you.